7 Benefits of Surya Namaskar
Surya Namaskar is a set of 12 Sun Salutations. What makes Surya Namaskar the right kind of practice for all is that, depending on the way it is practiced it helps you reduce weight and improve flexibility. The benefits of this branch of Yoga is manifold.
- A Holistic Workout – Surya Namaskar focuses on stretching all the vital muscles and joints in the body. Since there are 12 postures that give extreme emphasis on each body part, it is like hundred exercises packed into one salutation.
- Energizes You – Surya Namaskar is a form of workout that affects your entire body and energizes you. It awakens your body and prepares it for the entire day, thereby leaving no scope for fatigue or lethargy. You’ll find yourself bubbling with energy throughout the day.
- Helps in various bodily functions – Surya Namaskar gets rid of trapped gases, improves digestion, regulates menstrual cycle in women, stimulates respiratory system and other organs.
- Improves blood circulation – While you are upright in some postures, your head is bent and almost touching the floor in the others. This ensures rush of blood into every part of your body, specially the head thereby invigorating you.
- Improves flexibility – It is a proven fact that any organ that we don’t use enough, stops serving us with time. So the more we stretch and give ample exercise to our limbs and muscles, the more they’ll support us with time, ailments and old age. Performing Surya Namaskar at a slow pace, stretching your body to the maximum capacity improves your flexibility.
- Improves Breathing – Every posture in Surya Namaskar has a method of inhalation and exhalation. When done at the right rhythm, in the right manner, it regulates your breathing.
- Helps Reduce Weight – If more number of Surya Namaskars are practiced at a faster pace, it helps in toning down your body, in weight reduction and acts as a cardiovascular workout.
Surya Namaskar, if practiced in the right manner, brings about a huge change in your lifestyle. This coupled with meditation is the best you could give your body. It is always advisable to learn Surya Namaskar from a certified practitioner.
If you haven’t yet started with Surya Namaskar, now is the time!